Birmingham City University (BCU) is a modern and dynamic university that welcomes students from over 100 countries.
BCU offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in various fields of study, such as art and design, business, engineering, health, law, and education.
BCU has four campuses in Birmingham, the second largest city in the UK, and provides students with excellent facilities, support services, and career opportunities.
If you are interested in studying at BCU, here are some important steps and tips to help you with your application process.
BCU has different entry requirements depending on the level and type of course you want to apply for. You can find the specific entry requirements for each course on the course finder page. Generally, you will need to have:
- A recognized secondary or high school qualification for undergraduate courses, or a bachelor’s degree or equivalent for postgraduate courses.
- A minimum level of English language proficiency, which can be demonstrated by taking an English test such as IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE Academic, or by completing a pre-sessional English course at BCU. The required English test scores vary depending on the course but usually range from 6.0 to 7.0 for IELTS, 80 to 100 for TOEFL, or 51 to 67 for PTE Academic.
- A portfolio of work for some courses in art and design, media, and architecture.
- A personal statement that explains your motivation, interest, and suitability for the course.
- Two academic references that can attest to your academic ability and potential.
You may also need to meet additional requirements for some courses, such as interviews, auditions, tests, or work experience. You can check the details of these requirements on the course finder page or contact the admissions team for more information.
How to Apply
You can apply for BCU admission either directly to the university, through a representative in your country, or through UCAS (the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) if you are applying for an undergraduate course.
Applying Directly to BCU
You can apply directly to BCU by filling out an online application form on the BCU website. You will need to create an account and provide your personal details, education history, English language qualifications, course choices, personal statement, references, and supporting documents. You can track the progress of your application online and communicate with the admissions team through the website.
Applying Through a Representative
You can also apply through a representative in your country who can assist you with your application process and provide you with guidance and advice. BCU has authorized agents in many countries who can help you with your application form, documents, visa, accommodation, and other matters. You can find a list of BCU representatives in your country on the BCU website.
Applying Through UCAS
If you are applying for an undergraduate course at BCU, you can also apply through UCAS, which is the central organization that processes applications for most UK universities. You can apply through UCAS by registering on the UCAS website and completing an online application form. You will need to provide your personal details, education history, English language qualifications, course choices (up to five), personal statement, references, and supporting documents. You can track the progress of your application online and communicate with UCAS and BCU through the website.
The application deadlines for BCU admission vary depending on the level and type of course you are applying for. Generally, the deadlines are as follows:
- For undergraduate courses starting in September 2023: January 25 2023 (UCAS deadline) or June 30th 2023 (direct or representative deadline).
- For postgraduate courses starting in September 2023: July 31st 2023 (direct or representative deadline).
- For courses starting in January 2024: November 30th 2023 (direct or representative deadline).
However, some courses may have earlier or later deadlines than these dates. You can check the specific deadlines for each course on the course finder page or contact the admissions team for more information.
Fees and Scholarships
The tuition fees for BCU courses vary depending on the level and type of course you are studying. You can find the tuition fees for each course on the course finder page or contact the admissions team for more information.
As an international student at BCU, you may be eligible for various scholarships and discounts that can help you reduce your tuition fees. Some of these scholarships are:
- The International Scholarship: A £2,000 scholarship for undergraduate and postgraduate students who meet the academic and English language requirements for their course.
- The Academic Excellence Scholarship: A £3,000 scholarship for undergraduate and postgraduate students who achieve high academic results in their previous qualifications.
- The Alumni Scholarship: A 20% discount on tuition fees for BCU graduates who enrol in a postgraduate course at BCU.
- The Prompt Payment Discount: A 5% discount on tuition fees for students who pay their fees in full before or at enrollment.
You can find more information about these and other scholarships on the BCU website.
Accommodation and Student Life
As a student at BCU, you will have a range of accommodation options to choose from, depending on your budget, preferences, and availability.
You can choose to live in university-managed halls of residence, private rented accommodation, or homestay with a local family. You can find more information about the accommodation options, prices, facilities, and application process on the BCU website.
BCU also offers a vibrant and diverse student life that will enrich your academic and personal experience. You will have access to various facilities and services, such as libraries, IT resources, health and wellbeing support, career advice, and student unions.
You will also have the opportunity to join various clubs and societies, sports teams, cultural events, and social activities that will help you make friends, develop skills, and have fun. You can find more information about student life at BCU on the BCU website.
If you have any questions or queries about studying at BCU, you can contact us through various channels. You can:
- Email us at [email protected]
- Call us at +44 (0)121 331 5389
- Chat with us online on the BCU website
- Visit us at our International Office in the City Centre Campus
- Meet us at one of our events or visits in your country
We look forward to hearing from you and welcoming you to BCU!