Are you looking for a unique and innovative educational experience in Africa? Do you want to join a diverse and dynamic community of young leaders who are passionate about solving the continent’s challenges?
If yes, then you might be interested in applying to the African Leadership University (ALU), one of the most prestigious and innovative universities in Africa.
What is the African Leadership University?
The African Leadership University is a network of tertiary institutions that aim to develop the next generation of African leaders.
ALU has two campuses: one in Mauritius and one in Rwanda. Both campuses offer undergraduate and postgraduate programs in various fields, such as Business Management, Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering, Entrepreneurship, International Relations, and Social Sciences.
ALU also offers online courses and executive education programs for working professionals.
What makes ALU different from other universities?
ALU is not your typical university. It offers a personalized, project-based, and experiential learning approach that empowers students to take charge of their own education.
ALU students do not follow a fixed curriculum or sit for exams. Instead, they design their own learning path based on their interests, goals, and passions. They also work on real-world projects that address the most pressing challenges facing Africa and the world.
ALU also emphasizes leadership development, critical thinking, problem-solving, and innovation skills. ALU students are exposed to diverse perspectives and cultures through the ALU community, which consists of students, faculty, staff, mentors, and partners from over 50 countries.
ALU students also have access to world-class mentors and coaches who guide them throughout their learning journey.
ALU also provides students with opportunities to gain practical experience and network with potential employers through its flagship program: the Global Challenges Degree.
This program allows students to spend up to 45% of their time working as interns or entrepreneurs in different sectors and countries. ALU partners with leading organizations such as IBM, Mastercard, Marriott, GE, and the World Bank to provide students with these opportunities.
How can you apply to ALU?
ALU has a holistic and competitive admission process that evaluates applicants based on their academic potential, leadership potential, entrepreneurial spirit, passion for Africa, and fit with ALU’s culture and values. ALU does not require standardized tests such as SAT or ACT for admission.
To apply to ALU, you need to complete an online application form that consists of four steps:
- Step 1: Provide your personal information and academic background.
- Step 2: Complete a cognitive ability test that measures your verbal, numerical, and logical reasoning skills.
- Step 3: Submit a short essay and a video that showcase your personality, interests, goals, and motivations.
- Step 4: Participate in a group interview with other applicants where you will discuss a current issue or challenge facing Africa or the world.
The application deadlines for the 2023 intake are:
- Early Decision: November 30th, 2022
- Regular Decision: February 28th, 2023
- Rolling Admission: May 31st, 2023
What are the tuition fees and scholarships available at ALU?
ALU is committed to making quality education accessible and affordable for all students. ALU offers a range of scholarships and financial aid options based on merit and need.
The tuition fees vary depending on the campus and program you choose. For example, the annual tuition fee for the undergraduate program at ALU Mauritius is $7,000 USD, while the annual tuition fee for the undergraduate program at ALU Rwanda is $4,000 USD.
Some of the scholarships available at ALU include:
- The Mandela Centennial Scholarship: This scholarship covers up to 100% of tuition fees for outstanding students who demonstrate exceptional leadership potential and commitment to social impact.
- The Jim Ovia Foundation Leaders Scholarship: This scholarship covers up to 100% of tuition fees for high-achieving students from Nigeria who are interested in studying Computer Science or Engineering at ALU.
- The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program: This scholarship covers up to 100% of tuition fees plus living expenses for academically talented students from disadvantaged backgrounds who are passionate about creating positive change in their communities.
- The Anzisha Prize Scholarship: This scholarship covers up to 100% of tuition fees plus living expenses for young entrepreneurs who have started or run a social venture or business that has a positive impact on society.
- The Future Africa Leaders Scholarship: This scholarship covers up to 50% of tuition fees for promising students who have demonstrated leadership potential and involvement in extracurricular activities or community service.
Why should you consider studying at ALU?
Studying at ALU is a life-changing experience that will equip you with the skills, knowledge, and network you need to succeed in the 21st century. ALU will challenge you to think critically, creatively, and collaboratively.
ALU will inspire you to discover your passion, purpose, and potential. ALU will empower you to become a leader who can transform Africa and the world.
If you are looking for a university that offers more than just a degree, then ALU might be the right choice for you. Apply now and join the ALU community of changemakers!
I hope you enjoyed reading this blog post on African Leadership University for international students. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below. Thank you for your attention! 😊